Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Diapers


I've seen a lot of facebook status updates about diapers and diaper brands, so I thought that I'd do a quick little blog so I can remember for the next child.

Newborn
Pampers Swaddler diapers are much softer and more absorbent than most diapers and don't cause rashes. I made the mistake of using off brand wipes on Micah and his poor little tooshie paid for that mistake. Next time around I'll definitely use the sensitive wipes until I feel like their bottom has toughened up a bit.

3 Months and Up
Once their bowel movements are a little more predictable and solid and their bottoms are a little tougher, I switch to off brand diapers during the day and the name brand diapers a night in order to save a little money. The only off brand that isn't really a "bargain" has been the Walmart brand Family Choice because I have to change their diapers more often due to leaking. Although, I have friends who have had good luck with them. I've also found that although Pampers is a little more expensive than LUVS or Huggies, they hold more and cover more of the boys' bottoms and are worth the price. I also have a "Strike Three" rule - after 3 blowouts/major leaks I up the diaper size.

Between 12 & 18 Months
Both of my boys began to wet through their night time diapers even though I was putting them in name brand diapers as well as in one size bigger than they wear during the day. Micah woke up several nights in a row one week soaked ... I quickly mastered changing a toddler's clothes and diaper in the dark. Eventually I gave in and bought Pampers special overnight diapers. Again, they are more expensive, but if it saves me having to change an entire outfit every night and getting more quality sleep for both me and Micah it's worth it.

Potty Training
I don't do Pull-Ups (you can read my potty training blog for more details). I think that I can just as easily take off and put on a normal diaper for early potty training and save the extra dollars. When Jackson was in his later stages of potty training I put him in underwear and never looked back ... I just hope I'm as lucky with Micah.

Cloth Diapers
I'm not an expert on cloth diapers all I know is that there are SO MANY different brands to choose from. I have a lot of friends who use them for various different reasons. I'm a just a little too lazy for them perhaps. If you have questions about them I know some great women who would love to answer any questions you have!

2 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

I'm hoping to avoid pull-ups as well if I can help it. Or if Orin cooperates. :) I'll have to go revisit your potty training blog when that time comes.

Oh and Orin was peeing through for a few weeks. But now he is just waking up SOAKED each morning. But I put him in a 5 (one size up from normal) and it's a Pampers. That really does help I think.

Kim said...

Pull-ups have worked wonderfully for us at night time. I don't really know why I starated using them, they do cost $$, maybe I started because we tend to travel a lot with our kids so they were a great solution. Also we had to switch Lilly's drinking habits in order for her to not wake up with a wet pull up but we didn't do that cold turkey so again, they were worth the time-saver of not having to change bedding every night.

However, now that Lilly doesn't wet them anymore at night, she still takes lot of convincing to wear panties to bed, I think it's a security issue.

Sorry this was such a long post, just my thoughts. I pray Thatcher's potty-training will go quicker then Lilly's--he's definitely taking his time in wanting to learn.