Saturday, November 1, 2008

Micah's Birthday Story

Here's the whole story as I promised:

October 24th 2008 ~ Micah dropped onto my sciatic nerve causing me pain when I walked, bent over, ... pretty much did anything. At that point I was mentally, emotionally and physically ready to go into labor. I was just holding on until my sister (Sarah) and brother-in-law's (Josh) arrival, so that Jackson would be taken care of in his own home.

October 25th 2008 ~

6:30am ~ Sarah and Josh surprised us by showing up five hours early!!! They drove through the night from L.A. to get to our house (they even stopped and slept in a parking lot for a little while). They are such servants.

8:00am ~ Early First Stage Labor ~ I started to have contractions that were consistently low. They were irregular and I could still walk and talk through them, but I had a hard time concentrating on conversations.

11:00am ~ My sister and I went to a friend's baby shower even though I was having more regular contractions (I didn't time them, but they were probably about 10 - 15 mins apart). I was still walking and talking through them.

3:00pm ~ I decided to lay down for a nap (just in case this was the "real deal"), but ended up just laying in bed timing my contractions for an hour. They were getting a little more intense and they were about 5 mins apart.

4:00pm ~ First Stage Labor ~ I had one or two contractions that were hard enough that I couldn't walk or talk through them anymore. I told Colin that we should head to the hospital. Jackson woke up from his nap just in time for Colin to say, "Jackson we are going to the hospital. You will stay here with Auntie Sarah and Uncle Josh. When you come and see us as the hospital you will get to meet your brother, Micah. Is that okay?" Jackson: "Mmmm ... Yup." He gave Mommy and Daddy a hug and then was off playing (that was such a sigh of relief for me). While in the car my contractions became so strong that I couldn't just breath through them. I had to moan through them and they were now about 3 min apart.

4:45pm ~ We arrived at the hospital. (From here on out I don't have specific times ... I was a little preoccupied.)

They monitored me and the baby for about 20 mins (felt like FOREVER) and then checked my cervix. I was 6 -7 cm dilated about about 75% effaced with the baby at -1 station. (For those of you who don't yet know what all of that means: it meant this was the "real deal.") The blood work and paper work went flying and the midwife came to cheer me on through contractions.

They were able to get us a tub room. By the time they were done monitoring me and the baby and filling out paper work I was ready to get into the tub. It felt SO good to get in the tub because I was still having back pain from Micah sitting on my sciatic nerve.

At that point the nurses and the midwife left Colin and I alone to labor. My contractions were really hard, but they were still about 3 - 5 min apart. My fondest memory of the whole labor was sitting in the tub talking with Colin in between contractions about how God shows us grace even in our curse of childbearing. God was so gracious (to me anyway) to give me enough of a break between contractions to reflect on the miracle that he was doing through me.

After a couple of contractions I started to feel more of an urge to push. At that point my midwife came back and they quick checked the baby's heart and my cervix. I was 8 -9 cm dilated, almost 100% effaced and the baby was at +1 station. My midwife suggested I sit on the toilet to get the last cm to dilate and while I did that she had to make a quick phone call.

I moved to the bathroom and had one hard contraction and then became very nauseous and confused. I didn't know whether to sit, stand, lay down, etc. TRANSITION!! I even said that out loud. "I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm confused. I must be in transition!" Having that realization alone made transition so much more tolerable (THANK YOU Nicci (my Bradley teacher)).

My midwife came back and I told her I had transitioned. We got me back into bed and began Second Stage Labor. It felt like forever to me, but I was still having breaks in between my contractions where I could hold conversations (not deep ones mind you, but I could talk). I remember my midwife calling me a "Rock Star" several times during Second Stage Labor. What encouragement to keep going! My midwife checked my cervix again and suggested she break my water to speed up labor. I was hesitant, but I decided to go ahead and have her break my water. After that I was 9 1/2 cm dilated, but every time I would have a pushing contraction the cervix would move with the baby, so the midwife had to hold open my cervix with her fingers ... pretty uncomfortable, BUT I think it made the time between contractions shorter and in no time the baby was crowning and I was pushing.

My midwife was great at coaching me through the burn of the head crowning. OH YEAH and did I mention that my husband is the most wonderful childbirth coach I could ever ask for. He kept whispering in my ear that he was so proud of me and that he loved me. I remember my midwife telling the nurse "Aren't they so great. Don't you just love the way they work as a team?"

They adjusted a mirror for me so that I could see the baby coming ... it is the most amazing thing ... words cannot describe what it's like to see your baby coming into the world for the very first time.

7:07pm ~ As soon as he was out Micah was placed on my chest skin to skin. I LOVED the fact that I was the only one to hold him for the first hour or so after labor. He barely cried, but he as great color and had no fluid in his lungs at all. He got a 9 on both APGAR tests!! After is stopped pulsing, Colin cut the cord. I delivered the placenta and got stitched up (only on stitch - YEAH).

7:30pm ~ Micah and I got back into the tub for his first bath and first feeding. LOVED IT!!! Colin called Jackson at home (who was getting ready for bed) to tell him that his brother was born and that he could come and see him tomorrow at the hospital.


Micah Russell Doughan
Born October 25, 2008 7:07pm
8lb 13oz
21 1/4 inches long

We had a wonderful birthday for Micah ... PRAISE the LORD!! Thank you for all of you who were praying.

6 comments:

I am Katy, said...

What a wonderful birth story. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

It DOES sound like a wonderful birthday. Thank you for sharing--that is a really cool birth story!

andrea said...

way to go guys! thanks for sharing! (p.s. I found your blog.) :)

Jill said...

What a wonderful birth story. Praise God! I'm glad things went so well and that your faith was even an witness to the nurses and midwife.

PennyLane said...

Reading this post made me a bit nervous as I anticipate how in the world I will get through labor. Despite my worries, it was so ENCOURAGEING to read! Thanks for sharing the wonderful birth of your baby:)

Anonymous said...

The story was detailed and wonderful, I plan to read it at Bradley class number seven this Sunday. You are a rock star! Congrats again and again.

Nicci