Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Good Deals, Good Deals

Let me just start this blog by saying ... I LOVE a good deal! It's fun! It makes me proud to be (what I think is) a good steward of my money. That being said:

Several weeks ago I started looking for a glider for when baby boy #2 arrives ... the rocking chair we had for Jackson had a few popped springs and wasn't even worth giving away, so we trashed it before we came to Santa Maria. I looked at several thrift stores in the area and even looked at purchasing a new one, but I couldn't bring myself to spend over $100.00 on a glider (especially when you add on the cost of what it's going to cost to move it back to Omaha in the spring).

Anyway, I joined freecycle.org which is a cool internet group that facilitates the giving away of old stuff for free with the idea that "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Unfortunately,I had no luck with a rocker at freecycle. So, I checked out craigslist.com which is basically a classified ad on the internet and I got lucky. I got a great deal on a glider for only $35.00, plus the gas to go and pick it up in SLO.

The same weekend we picked up the glider my husband got a new 4-drawer filing cabinet (the movers damaged ours and reimbursed us so that we could afford a new one). So, I put the old, functional, slightly broken file cabinet up on freecycle and got four interested takers, but none of them followed through. I also posted it on craigslist asking $20.00 thinking I wouldn't get anyone interested, but within a day or two I got a call and now the file cabinet is someone else's treasure and I have $20.00 to put toward my grocery bills this month.

Then our digital camera's LCD screen died and with a new baby on the way I was dreading having to spend upwards of $200.00 on a camera this month, but I couldn't really wait until Christmas (hoping someone would give a generous gift) since the baby is due at the end of the month. So, I got on craigslist again and (WOO-HOO) hit the jackpot with a great digital camera for only $50.00 and it's valued at $222.00 on Amazon.com! It's not top of the line by any means, but it's A LOT better than the one we have.

Anyway, I think I could totally become a craigslist and freecycle junkie if I'm not careful. It's like thrift store shopping online only better because you have the chance to bless other people, make some money and meet some really nice people in the process.

2 comments:

I am Katy, said...

I love craigslist and freecycle. In the last week, I've sold an umbrella stand and bought a halloween costume for Patrick and a pair of roller blades for me. I, too, love a great deal.

Kathy said...

KUDOS on the baby things Corrine! I am so excited for your baby's arrival....

Craigslist and freecycle are my two favorite places online (next is www.refundcents.com) I got a swing on craigslist. It was good but I didnt really like it. Keep in mind its not for ME :) Yesterday I answered a freecycle e-mail for a johnny jump, she had a swing too....it is sooo nice it is the heirloom print which is black and white toile..I REALLY like it. Im hoping I can sell the first swing to get more needed baby things :) LOVE a good deal. Feels like good stewardship :)