Monday, December 29, 2008

Week 9: Christmas so far ...

Well we decided to take a risk and travel to Wisconsin and Iowa for the holiday season despite the risk of being stuck in an airport on Christmas day. God was so faithful in getting us to Chicago Midway Airport without any delays or mishaps. In fact, we even got door to door service to our terminal by the Avis rental people at LAX on Christmas Eve. Which was a good thing, because it would have been very difficult to haul a 2 year old, a 2 month old, 6 pieces of check luggage and 4 pieces of carry-on luggage on a bus and through the airport with only 4 arms. We had a direct flight from LA to Chicago (a four hour flight) and Jackson was WONDERFUL!! Micah slept most of the way, but nursed when he was supposed and even went 9 hours between feedings that night (Merry Christmas to me from Micah ... it hasn't happened again since then).

Christmas day was pretty uneventful and was spent at my mom's house. However, we had some adventures the day after Christmas. We were on the way to my dad's house when Jackson said he didn't feel very good and "tossed his cookies" in the car. We went back and changed his outfit and cleaned the car, but decided that he perked up enough to continue on to my dad's house, but then he threw up again (this time at least we had a bucket to catch it). We turned around again, but part way back we decided that we might not get to see my dad if we didn't go that day, so we turned around AGAIN and made it to my dad's. Luckily Jackson was fine the rest of the day (he even had a little supper without getting sick).

The next day we spent time with family doing Christmas at my mom's. It was a fun day and everyone was doing well until about 12am when I was up with the stomach flu. Luckily Jackson slept through it all, but when we stay in hotels we put a pack-n-play in the bathroom with a night light (he and we seem to sleep much better, plus I'm still nursing in the middle of the night). So, that meant I had to use the hotel's public bathroom from about 12am to 4am when I was sick (I'm sure the late night custodian's imagination was running wild as to why I kept going into that bathroom every half an hour for four hours). Colin was a huge help changing and burping Micah, but unfortunately he couldn't nurse him. That was an adventure ... I'll just leave it at that.

The whole next day we stayed in the hotel and I slept when I could and focused on getting hydrated again so that my milk supply wouldn't deplete. I also had Micah nursing every 2 1/2 hours instead of 3 to bring my supply up as well. I think all of that worked, but we'll see. That being said, Micah's schedule is completely thrown off between the two hour time change, the holiday traveling and events and me getting the flu. UGH! We were doing so well before the vacation!! Oh well ... Tis the season and we'll get back to normal again when we are home in CA. I just hope the battle isn't too fierce.

I'm feeling much better today, but still a little weak. I should be back to normal by tomorrow (just in time for the flight to Omaha and the drive to Orange City). Pray that Colin is not the next victim of this family virus.

Well half of our Christmas vacation is almost over ... now we're on to the Doughan side tomorrow. Pray that our flight is not cancled or delayed and that we have good driving weather from Omaha to Orange City! I'll keep you posted on how that leg of the trip went when we're back in CA.

Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday seaon yourselves!

No comments: