Thursday, January 15, 2009

Weeks 11 &12: CIO (Crying it Out)

So I'm sitting here typing this as quietly as I can because I'm DETERMINED to get Micah to take a full nap (one to two hours). Lately he's been falling asleep on his own for naps (which is good), but then he'll only sleep for 30 minutes and then wake up crying.

If I get him up he's fussy. If I let him stay in his crib he's fussy. If I nurse him he doesn't take a full feeding. I've tried EVERYTHING I could possibly think of (I've even given into his thumb sucking ... which I'm not a huge fan of)and so now I'm letting him "cry it out"! Earlier this morning he'd cry for 15 minutes and then I'd console him, then he'd cry for 15 minutes and I'd console him. He never did go back to sleep for this morning's nap, but he's put himself back to sleep twice now for this afternoon's nap and is napping right now.

I vaguely remember doing this with Jackson, but I don't remember it being so HARD. I guess it must be similar to not remembering labor pains, because if we did we might not ever have another child. This morning I had to clean my downstairs to keep myself occupied and calm. This afternoon (since Jackson is also napping) I've been taking comfort in learning what Micah's different cries sound like. A tired cry sounds a lot different that a painful cry or a hungry cry and it brings me comfort knowing that I'm giving him what he needs at this moment. Even though I think it's harder on me than it is on him.

I know that not everyone reading this blog agrees with letting babies "cry it out", but I KNOW this will be best for him in the long run. I hardly ever have problems with Jackson taking a nap or going to sleep at night and staying asleep (unless he's sick or extremely out of routine) and I give all the credit to him having learned the skill of putting himself to sleep when he was a baby.

Micah hasn't had any problems at night time, so I can't complain, it's just nap times that are EXHAUSTING us both. Oh ... he's up again ... here we go!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hang in there Corinne!!!...this to shall pass. I've just found that both of my kids have SUCH different sleeping patterns. Hannah was a great sleeper at night but took only short naps. Caden takes longer naps but ALWAYS wakes up crying in the morning and even though he sleeps all night he still wakes up early.

Just a thought, Caden also needed more frequent naps then Hannah....maybe that's Micah, not that you need any more advice right now! :) You're doing GREAT!