Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day Festivities

I'm not always the best at giving Colin surprises or making a lot of fun plans, but this Father's Day I did both. It wasn't too elaborate, but I hope I did enough to make Colin feel special, because ... well ... he is.

I feel a little guilty that I didn't wake up early to put up signs or make a huge breakfast, but Colin took me out for our anniversary the night before to a community theatre in Solvang, CA (a little town like Orange City, IA ... it even has a windmill) to see their production of Les Miserables and we were out until midnight. It was a wonderful evening.

After church we fed the kids and put them to bed and then I made Colin this feast:


It's a beef burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions, bacon and provolone cheese all drizzled with a red wine sauce. The pasta salad had a mayonnaise and sour cream sauce, chopped pecans, bacon, celery, nectarines and fresh chives. I got the recipe from an "Every Day with Rachel Ray" magazine, so I guess I should say ... YUM-O!



You can decide for yourself if Colin liked it. While we ate our feast we watched "In the Shadow of the Moon" (Jackson and Micah's gift to their dad).


Then, of course, a full tummy requires a good nap (something Colin doesn't get to do very often). That evening we were able to wish Colin's dad a Happy Father's Day on Skype. It was a WONDERFUL and relaxing Father's Day.

3 comments:

andrea said...

ooh yummy! Nice work Corinne! (I think steve would be glad that chose RR instead of trying something like that) :) I'm so thankful that we have such great dads for our kids. :)

and how was les mis? I've seen it like 5 times, and love it more and more each time! was the community theater good?

Rachel said...

Good job on making serious man food Corinne! Send the recipies. I've tried a few RR recipies myself and they turned out pretty good as well!

theKband said...

What great pictures, and the meal looked awesome!