Saturday, June 6, 2009

Quick Update on Sleep



Micah has made a few changes in his sleeping habits these past couple of weeks and I wanted to be sure that I made a note to myself about them for the future:

1. I stopped putting socks on his hands because he had figured out how to pull them off by himself and because he seemed to accidentally scratch himself less and less.

2. I no longer give him a pacifier for naps or night sleep unless he's inconsolable or we're in a different sleeping environment (for example: I still give him a pacifier when I expect him to sleep in his car seat at church... but he hardly ever keeps it in).

3. As Micah has begun to eat more food during meals he's needed his third nap less and less. I'm not sure if they're related, but it's just my observation. For awhile I was putting him down for about a half an hour before dinner time so that he wouldn't be exhausted by bedtime and fall asleep nursing, but after awhile he just wouldn't fall asleep anymore. So, he's completely dropped his third nap now and is sleeping between 1 1/2 to 2 hours for his other two naps during the day. He's getting less and less cranky around bed time but I still struggle with him falling asleep nursing (I DON'T want that to become a habit).

4. A couple days before and after Micah popped his first tooth he woke up in the middle of the night and needed to be consoled. I ended up giving him Tylenol and swaddling him (which I haven't done in a LONG time) in order to get him to go back to sleep. After a couple days he's back to his normal 12 hour sleep without any interruptions (praise the Lord for that). By the way: I was unsuccessful at snapping a picture of his tooth in the picture above... ah well.

I think that's about it ... my little one is awake now and ready for breakfast, so I better bring this blog to a close.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Micah is soo sweet and so adorable!! Babies are always s bad about showing their teeth!!

We have gotten Gabriel to drink a little. My husband filled a bowl with milk and spoon fed him (took FOREVER.) I so much appreciated your concern on Sunday. I ahve cried so many tears and prayed so much about this but it doesnt seem to concern anyone else...hard to know when Im just being hormonal.