Monday, June 29, 2009

Our Surrogate Family

One of the hardest times to live far away from family is during holidays and birthdays. I can't tell you how many times Jackson asked me if Grandma and Papa and Grandma Deb were going to come to his birthday party and I had to disappoint him by telling him that it was too far for them to travel.

So, I wanted to have a birthday party for Jackson and his friends this year. I thought about what I would do and where I would acutally hold the party because we are living in a townhome right now with no backyard. There's a common's area, but it's not the same as having it in the comfort of your own home. I was also thinking that since Jackson's friend,Patrick's, birthday fell in the same month that the parents could share the task of throwing a combined party for the to boys. Mostly I just wanted a party where Jackson would be able to play with other kids his age ... where he could celebrate being a KID!

My friend Katy, Patrick's mom, gracisouly said that she would help throw a joint 3rd birthday party for the two boys at her house. She had already had some ideas of what she was going to do for Patrick's party and was going to go with a water theme. We each invited some of the boys' friends and Patrick's family members.

On Thursday night Katy and I went grocery shopping at 8:30pm at night for the party and also had a mini girl's night out at Kohl's and Starbucks (I hadn't done that with any one besides my sisters for a little over a year ... THANK YOU Katy!).

On Saturday Katy picked Jackson and me up at 9am so that Colin could keep the car and let Micah nap at home until the party at 11am. Patrick and Jackson got to play while we set up the back yard. Here are a few pictures of the party, but first let me just say ... Katy and her family did ALL of the work for this party!!


Patrick's Gramma Kitty made both of the boys a cake!



Patrick's other Grandma let them use her bounce house and water slide for the party!







Jackson's one request was a pinata!















It really hit me when Patrick's family sang happy birthday to Jackson how special this whole event was. I had been sad that all of Jackson's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins wouldn't be able to share his special day with him. Having Patrick's family as our surrogate family made missing our real family a lot easier.





2 comments:

I am Katy, said...

It was a lot of fun doing the party together. Thanks for the girls night out and for helping set up for the party. Patrick had a great time. You guys are like family to us too.

Kathy said...

OK. I want to be a Grandma who owns a bounce house! HOW COOL IS THAT???

Katy and Kitty totally blow me away! Wow. I am soo glad that you have such a special friendship. How amazing to be as cool as they are and do such amazing things for family AND be able to reach out to others and share it with them too :) I am so inspired.