Thursday, June 18, 2009

3 Year Check Up

Jackson had his three year check up today. I'm SO grateful to have a wonderful pediatrician. This time last year I took Jackson to a pediatrician in Santa Maria and it was a night and day difference.

I remember thinking to myself at last year's check up, "Aren't they going to ask him some questions? Don't they want to know how much he can say? Don't they want to know if he's potty trained or not? Or if he's sleeping well at night and during the day?" I don't think the pediatrician even talked to Jackson once and neither did the staff or the nurses.

This year was totally different. The nurses and pediatrician talked to Jackson more than they talked to me. I LOVED it! Both of the boys have mild colds right now, so the doctor even checked Micah's ears for an infection. After the check up was done I was rescheduling an appointment for Micah and Dr. Macias and Jackson were just hanging out for a little while. I think Jackson would have followed the doctor to all of his appointments if he let him.

Anyway, I wanted to make a note about the details of Jackson's check up, here are some stats:

Weight: 33.6 lbs (75%)
Height: 36 1/4" (50%)
BP: 82/54 (This was the first time he's had his BP taken and he did very well.)
No shots this time (YAY!).

Dr. Macias told us that 95% of 3 year olds can count from 1-3, can recognize one color and recognize a circle. He was impressed that during the appointment Jackson could count from 1 -12, recognized at least 5 different colors, recognized 6 different shapes, 3 different letters and can draw a circle on a piece of paper. Jackson spelled his name out loud for him too. Dr. Macias is anticipating that Jackson will be an early reader considering the fact that he already knows all of his letters and he has a good grasp on phonics.

As far as his physical skills Jackson is normal. He can jump, throw and kick a ball. He hasn't gotten pedaling down yet, but that's normal for a 3 year old.

I write all of this not to brag about my oldest child (although I am very proud of him), but it will serve as a reminder of what my expectations should be of Micah at this age. There will always be a danger in comparing my children.

I pray that God will give me the ability to always see them as two different individuals. I'm amazed at how God is growing Jackson into who he is and I'm anxious to see who Micah will become. Although (for simplicity's sake) it'd be nice if they were cookie cutter children ... nah ... how boring would THAT be?

No comments: