Monday, August 31, 2009

Humble Parent Moment

Jackson has collected three Lego cars from McDonald's Happy Meals.

Today, while I was getting ready to take the boys to the park, Jackson suggested he take one of the cars he had a duplicate of and give it to a child at the park. I didn't want to discourage his generosity so I said that would be very nice.

On the way Jackson asked, "why do I want to give this car to a kid at the park?" and we'd then recite one of his memory verses: "Do not forget to do good and to share with others for with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Hebrews 13:16 NIV) Like most 3 year olds he insisted we repeat this dialogue at least two or three times.

The park is a good 15 - 20 minute walk from our house, so I totally thought he would forget about it or chicken out once we got to the playground, but he didn't. There were two girls around his age playing and the first thing he did was run over to them and give them his car.

I had to reassure the parent several times that it was really what Jackson wanted to do and that there was no coaxing involved. I think both the parent and I were completely shocked, the little girl was excited to have a new toy (and friend), Jackson was proud of himself (but not too proud) and because of what the Bible says I know that God was pleased.

I was originally going to title this blog "Proud Parent Moments" and I am proud. Yet, God uses my children every day to humble me and remind me of the lessons I should be learning and applying in my own life as well.

3 comments:

I am Katy, said...

He's such a sweetie. Great job. You should be proud.

Chéz Waldon said...

Good job Jackson!

You blog looks great, I am inspired by both the new blog and jackson;)

Kathy said...

Great job Jackson!!

Amazing how simple that is huh? Why should I do this? Because Scripture says to....Wow

What would my life look like if my attitude were like Jackson's?