Monday, August 17, 2009

WARNING: A Sensative Topic

According to the given statistics in the United States of America, one out of every four girls, and one out of every six boys will be sexually abused before they turn eighteen years of age.

SCARY!!! Considering those staggering numbers I would dare to say that most Americans are affected in one way or another by sexual abuse, not excluding myself.

My mom taught me about sexual abuse prevention at a very early age and I can recall at least two specific instances in my life that if I didn't have that knowledge I may have fallen prey to sexual abuse.

Now that Jackson is becoming more independent I've found this topic popping up in my mind over and over again. How early is too early to teach sexual abuse prevention? I don't want to steal my children's innocence, but I don't want to avoid the issue and have them unprepared if ... I can't even write it.

CAVEAT:
Please don't hear what I'm NOT saying:
I'm NOT saying that it's my job to be over protective as a parent or that if I don't teach my child about sexual abuse prevention that it's my fault if they are.
I'm also NOT saying that my children will be immune to sexual abuse if I do teach them about sexual abuse prevention.
I know that God is sovereign and the BEST thing I can do for my children is place their physical, emotional and spiritual well being in the hands of GOD. However, I do know that God can use me to help my children, but I guess I'm wrestling with exactly what that looks like.

So, I'm writing this very touchy blog looking for advice and to document what I've done in this area of parenting.

So far, Jackson and I have discussed that his private parts are just that PRIVATE.

We've also talked about the importance of being obedient to God versus an adult or even Mommy or Daddy. So, if Mommy asks Jackson to do something that is disobedient to God like steal, lie, cheat or touch his private parts, it's OKAY and right for him to say "NO."

We've also talked about how it's important NOT to keep secrets that promote sin or hurt other people emotionally and physically.

We've also discussed that if someone MAKES him do something that is disobedient that it is NOT his fault. For example, if Mommy says that she would hurt him if he told the truth to Daddy about something she did wrong, that's MOMMY'S SIN, not Jackson's.

I've really tried to keep it simple, but it's so hard with such a complex topic. I don't want to talk about it SO much that I start planting ideas in my sons' heads, but at the same time I want them to know that they can come talk to me about ANYTHING!

My plan for right now is to talk about it as the topic arises and may once in awhile get age appropriate books from the library on the topic. I'm thinking of getting "The Right Touch" by Sandy Kleven. Anyone read it? Do you have any other books or resources you recommend?

What about you? What are your thoughts about sexual abuse prevention? Do you have any advice?

I plan on blogging more on this topic as it comes up in our lives, but I look forward to hearing about how you are handling and wrestling with this difficult issue and gleaning insight and advice from what you share.

No comments: